<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Rhinocrisy

13 May, 2004

I am disturbed

that the video of the beheading of Nick Berg is floating around on the internet and people seem so interested in downloading and watching it. Or, at the very least, people are posting it on a website because "the public has a right to know" and they think there are a lot of people interested in watching it. Something about that creeps me out.

But I wonder also where the line must drawn. I take no pleasure in viewing pictures of corpses but I think it's important people are aware of what is happening in our world, especially if it's a result of what our country is doing. I think people need to know so they know what they're supporting when they say "yeah, we should invade ___;" "yeah, bomb them to the Stone Ages," "yeah, our boys are just defending themselves," "yeah, let's go liberate some Iraqis." People need to see these pictures to know how things translate to people on the ground. At the same time I don't think people should become desensitized to the violence.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?