<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Rhinocrisy

04 August, 2004

Why are girls so mean to other girls?

Recently there seems to have been a flurry of incidents of which I know all too well:

I'm walking down the street and encounter a woman who is a complete stranger. As she passes by, she gives me an unfriendly "once-over" and scowls, snickers or sneers. I am not sure if she is staring at my clothes, which I don't think are offensive, or my face, or the rest of my body, which I can't really change. And I don't know why. It's clearly unfriendly, and the look that she casts hints that she is sizing me up as competition and about to rip me apart, or that she disapproves of my very existence. And I *only* get this from other women... lately it's been from other Asian women.

It's as if some women view other women in their vicinity with automatic distrust and hatred.

In school, some girls try to cut others down. They're really mean to girls who are smart and do well in their classes, as if it's just not okay to be a smart girl. And if you're a feminist, expect the worst treatment from some of your own kind. It's repulsive to the very essence of these mean girls.

And then when it comes to boys - some women will sacrifice the best friendships for a dude who just isn't worth it.

It's so sad, because we women should be sticking together, not tearing each other apart.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?