<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Rhinocrisy

09 October, 2004

The only times I believe in God

are
1) when I really really want something and cannot devise a way for myself to achieve certain ends.
and
2) when I want someone to blame for a striking set of coincidences having negative consequences in my life.

Is there a word for this? Atheism doesn't quite seem to capture it.
Situation 2) arises more often than situation 1), partly because I think the only way that a being such as a God could exist, is if that putative God were a real asshole or had, like Depeche Mode said, a "sick sense of humor." There are lots of God-fearing Christians who would now point out that I'd go to hell because of what I wrote. I think that because I don't believe in hell, then I can't end up there.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?