<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Rhinocrisy

02 May, 2005

Shark-jumping

Alt Hippo says the religious right has jumped the shark. Now, I don't really care about that. What I want to know is: when did "jumping the shark" become an idiomatic expression?

I'm familiar with the relevant "Happy Days" episode. I've seen it. I saw it eight years ago. But I've never heard the expression "jumping the shark" until just a few months ago. Is it just me? I did go nineteen years without knowing what "ill" meant, though it was presumably coined in the seventies. So I could be an ignoramibus. But I suspect what I'm ignorant of is actually some other, recent, pop-culture event that reintroduced this term to the modern discourse. Which is it? And will I ever be "with it" and "hip" like all the other "cool dudes"?

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?