<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Rhinocrisy

03 July, 2005

There are THREE branches of government...

The rumor has it that Gonzales is on the "short list" of potential nominees for the Supreme Court position. I'd just like to point out the man's incredibly bizarre understanding of executive authority and the basic workings of government. From his Senate confirmation hearing:
SEN. DURBIN: I'll give you that chance. In your August memo, you created the possibility that the president could invoke his authority as commander in chief not only to suspend the Geneva Convention but the application of other laws. Do you stand by that position?

MR. GONZALES: I believe that I said in response to an earlier question that I do believe it is possible, theoretically possible, for the Congress to pass a law that would be viewed as unconstitutional by a president of the United States. And that is not just the position of this president. That's been the position of presidents on both sides of the aisle. In my judgment, making that kind of conclusion is one that requires a great deal of care and consideration. But if you're asking me if it's theoretically possible that Congress could pass a statute that we view as unconstitutional, I'd have to say -- concede, sir, that that's -- I believe that that's theoretically possible.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?