<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Rhinocrisy

17 August, 2005

Breaking news: government lied!

I register absolutely no surprise at all at this story, about the hapless Jean Charles de Menezes, the Brazilian man shot dead by British cops in the days after the July 7 bombings in London. It seems that everything the British cops and eyewitnesses said - he was wearing a heavy jacket, he ran from the cops into the station, he jumped a turnstyle, he did not respond to police calls to stop - was a total fabrication. Classic CYA. +3 cynicism points for me. I'll be waiting for the retractions from the chorus of complete jerks.

Comments

good job!
i'm always stunned at these things because i imagine we live in a more civil world than we probably do. i think this is for the best because i would behave much worse if I looked at things more as they were on these fronts. On the other hand, I would probably feel less despair. 

Posted by Saurav


I contest those cynicism points. You should only get points if you've written something publicly committing yourself to a position. I didn't claim any points for noticing that the Global War on Terror had rhetorically tranformed into the Global Struggle Against Violent Extremism, even though I certainly noticed it the one time I ever saw Rumsfeldt speaking in person. I even wrote a memo about it, but it wasn't public, so I don't get the points. You've got to risk public humiliation if you wanna score. 

Posted by hedgehog


Errr... no, I meant my cynicism is up 3 points. 

Posted by saurabh


Oh, I didn't realize that numbers went that high. 

Posted by hedgehog


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?